HOCKEY IN SAINIK SCHOOL, BIJAPUR
Hockey in India is blessed with the status of 'national sport' and enjoys a heritage. Hockey is promoted as a major game in Sainik Schools.
Inter Sainik School Hockey Tournament Sept, 2007:
Sainik School Bijapur players celebrate after beating North, East, West and Central Sainik School Zones in the final of the Inter Zonal Sainik School Hockey tournament held at Sainik School Bijapur in Sept, 2007. Sainik School, Bijapur won the prestigious Inter Zonal Cup for the seventh time.
The decisive manner of that victory has given Coach Shree S Masilamani plenty of cause for optimism ahead of Nehru Hockey Tournament (under-17) after winning South Zone and Inter Zonal Hockey Championships this year. The audience hailed the fitness and team work of the Bijapur players on the way to glory. Bijapur team had a rare display of passion for hockey.
The Inspiring Force Shree S Masilamani:
Year after year he trained the teams for Zonal, Inter zonal and national tournaments. He made the boys realise they have the skill and confidence but they have to work hard and remain focused.
Shree S Masilamani joined Sainik School in 1975 as Hostel Superintendent. He has completed his Master of Physical Education degree and specialized in hockey. He started to train the cadets of Sainik School, Bijapur and prepared two teams of players every year.
Some of the major performances by his teams came in the following tournaments. These are the extracts from the Pages of `The Hindu`
1. Friday, Oct 22, 2004 CBSE Schools South Zone hockey tournament-DERABAD: Sainik School of Bijapur won the under-14 title defeating Vignan's PPPN 4-0 with Ravi (2), Abhishek and Shravan with one goal each being the scorers. (The Hindu)
2. Monday, Oct 18, 2004 - NEW DELHI, OCT. 17. Sainik School, Bijapur, defeated Veeramamunivar Government High School, Pondicherry, 7-0 after leading 3-0 at halftime in the 33rd Oriental Bank Nehru junior hockey tournament at the Shivaji Stadium here on Sunday. Gururaj D. Chougula (2), G. P. Satishchandra, C.R. Mohammed Farooq, Haroon Rashid, B.M. Mubarak Ali, M. H. Channaveera scored the goals.
Under-14: Semifinals: In the semifinals, Vignan defeated Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BHEL) 3-1 while Sainik School drubbed Atomic Energy Central School 8-0. (The Hindu)
League: Atomic Energy Central School bt Vidya Mandir HS 5-1; Sainik School, Bijapur, bt Chinmaya International School 2-0.
Date: 20/10/2004 -CBSE Schools South Zone hockey tournament here on Tuesday.Under-14Sainik School, Bijapur, bt Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, BHEL, 8-0.
Double win for Sainik School: Sainik School (Bijapur) bagged a double by winning the boys' under-14 and under-19 titles in the CBSE schools' south zone hockey tournament conducted by Vignan's Prabhodhananda Prasahanti Niketan School, Ghatkesar mandal, recently. The host was runner-up in both groups.
4. Date: 09/10/2006: The league phase of the boys' under-19 section of the South Zone CBSE inter-schools hockey tournament here at Hyderabad on Sunday.
Under-14: Sainik School (Bijapur) bt Bhavan's SRKV, Sainikpuri, 5-0 (Sivanand 2, Ravi 1, Vinay 1, Saheb Gowda 1).
5. Date: 11/10/2006 HYDERABAD: The South Zone CBSE inter-schools hockey tournament held on Tuesday. In the under-14 boys final, Sainik School (Bijapur) scored an emphatic 5-1 victory against KLE Society's School, Naipani. Shivanand struck thrice in the 23rd, 39th and 45th minutes and Vinay (30th) and Sahab Gouda (49th) complete the tally for the winners. Shiv reduced the margin.
6. Date: 14/09/2006: Trophy awarded BIJAPUR: The District and Sessions Judge, Prakash Ballary, emphasised the need to encourage native games including hockey here on Wednesday. He was addressing a gathering after giving away the All India Sainik Schools Inter-Zonal Hockey Championship trophy to Sainik School, Bijapur. Principal Col. K.K. Sunny congratulated the school team and its coach S. Masilamani for the achievement. The team will play in the Nehru Cup tournament, the open hockey championship to be held in New Delhi next month.
This year too the team has won the Inter Zonal and is playing at the Shivaji stadium at Delhi for the prestigious Nehru Cup. The team is representing all 23 Sainik schools in the Country.
The performance of the School hockey team year after year in the various tournaments speaks volumes by themselves. The dedication and commitment shree S Masilamani has for the promotion of the game is well established fact. He has a large fan following among the Ajeets.
The ones who leave the School continue to play the game and represent the college or the university they study.
Over the years as hockey coach he built in the cadets a fine temperament, inner calm, elegance, humility and grace. It was pleasure watching the hockey tournaments organized by him in the School premises. The players had enviable winning strategy while playing with the most formidable teams. They exhibited awesome potential to dominate the game throughout.
Shree S Masilamani is a compelling force behind the team. He is very positive in his approach. He had remarkable potential to motivate and train more than three generation of children in the School. He has an electrifying effect on them. His strength lies in his profound love for young children and compelling force to train the young.
Today Ajeets adore him for his magnificent contributions. They take the name of Shree S Masilamani reverence.
Ravi I Hugar, 3723, Wod
Captain of the Hockey Team